9.01.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Seventy-Sixth Edition, September 1, 2016

Featured Alumna: Amanda Hammett '94

Do you know what HOBY means to me?

FAMILY.

HOBY has come to be an integral part of my family.

In 2012, I came to the HOBY GA seminar as an outsider.  Yes, I am a proud HOBY alum, but not from Georgia.  From the moment I stepped foot on Berry's campus for volunteer training (where I knew no one), person after person opened their arms and hearts to me.  HOBY became my family that day.  Sure, I had been away from HOBY since my ambassador year in 1994 (yes, do the math), but it was amazing how quickly everything came rushing back.

As a 15 year old, HOBY changed my view point on the world.  HOBY managed to pop the bubble that I had been living in in my small Alabama hometown. My seminar weekend solidified  in my mind that I needed to see other parts of the country and the world.  There was too much out there for me to see and experience and different people for me to meet.  HOBY gave me the skills that I would hone and use throughout college and in the early days of my entrepreneurial career. 

Coming back in 2012, reminded me of just how far I had come, but also of how much farther I still have left to go.  But the biggest lesson, I learned from HOBY is that you can always come back home.  And for me, HOBY is HOME.  All of you, are home for me.

Today, my HOBY experience is way different than a weekend in 1994.  Now, I have the good fortune of leading a team of incredibly dedicated volunteers throughout the year.  These are people that I consider family.  These are the people that when things are rough in my life that I call on to give me guidance or just to hear me complain.  Sure, we may (as families do) disagree from time to time, but at the end of the day, I love and respect each person and I would do anything in my power to help them. Sometimes in families, doing the right thing is the hard thing. But I know each member of this family has the same end goal in mind...we want to make each seminar have a life long impact on the ambassadors. 

And y'all...HOBY does that.  WE do that.  And when I sit back and look at the bigger picture of how the ambassadors we taught are going out and positively impacting the world....I get teary eyed because that impact...that ripple effect is what it is all about.

Thank you for being a part of HOBY and thank you for being a part of my family.  


HOBY Info:
Georgia HOBY Store
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
  • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: HOBY Georgia
  • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
  • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
This Blog
  • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment