8.18.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Seventy-Fifth Edition, August 18, 2016

Featured Alumnus: Kevin Duckworth '13

     My name is Kevin Reid Duckworth and I attended GA HOBY in 2013. After I left HOBY in 2013, I was a different person. I was more outgoing, I participated more in my community through volunteering, and I even think that I was more kind on a daily basis. I loved HOBY and I promised myself that I would come back every single year and volunteer. I did in 2014 and 2015, but I couldn’t in 2016.
     On Memorial Day 2016, just a few days before HOBY 2016, I suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns to both of my hands. While cooking, I managed to spill the entire pan of grease on my hands. I remember being in the hospital a day or two later and my friend from 2014 HOBY, Alexandria, messaged me to check on my healing. I hadn’t even thought that I was going to miss HOBY until I read that message. At this point I was feeling pretty miserable. I couldn’t even text her back without asking someone else to do it for me. I felt like giving up. Then I remembered my key note speaker from my first year on Junior Staff, Kelsey Tainsh. I thought back to how inspired I was by her story, and it gave me hope that eventually I would be able to use my hands again. Today I’m back in my normal routine, and I have Kelsey and HOBY to thank for that. 

HOBY Info:
Georgia HOBY Store
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
  • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: HOBY Georgia
  • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
  • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
This Blog
  • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment