9.30.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Seventy-Ninth Edition, September 30, 2016

Featured Alumnus: Corey NaLampoon '98

     Like many of you, upon hearing the news that Hugh O’Brian had passed, I couldn’t help but be flooded with a range of emotions.  Of course, there was sadness and thoughts of sympathy for Hugh’s family and close friends, but I couldn’t figure out why I had this “pit in my stomach” and sense of unease. While I was fortunate enough to meet Hugh on several occasions over the years, I was not by any means what one would consider a close friend. Yet still, why did the news of his passing sadden me in the manner that it did? After exchanging a few texts regarding his passing with friends that I’d met through HOBY, “the reason why” all of a sudden hit me: HOBY has shaped me into who I am today and HOBY is family.
     One of Hugh’s core motives behind targeting high school sophomores to participate in HOBY was his belief that at age 15-16, a person is “young enough” to still require mentoring/guidance from their elders, yet “old enough” to begin making decisions to shape their lives on their own. I was fortunate to be selected to represent my high school as a HOBY Ambassador in May 1998, when I was 16 years old. I was blessed enough  return to staff each year from 1999 to 2015 – serving in a myriad of roles and responsibilities – electing to finally take a step back as an active volunteer due to family and professional obligations when I was 34 years old.
     How could HOBY not shape who I am? After all, HOBY has been in my life longer than it hasn’t been in my life (#GettingOld). I’m a firm believer that our lives are filled with moments that, based on our response, shape the rest of our futures. For me, HOBY was one of those moments. But what made it all so special? The answer is simple: YOU. Each and every one of you.
     I honestly don’t know where I would be in my life without HOBY. I don’t mean that in the sense of “I was headed down the wrong path”. I mean it in the sense of “HOBY has been so pivotal in my life”. I’ve learned so much about myself, about others, and about our world through HOBY…whether it be through what I learned as an Ambassador, what I learned from the Ambassadors as a volunteer, or through the close-knit bonds and lifelong friendships I’ve made with fellow HOBY volunteers over the years. The Ambassadors never ceased to amaze me. Their drive, their passion, and their skill is unparalleled. As for the volunteers, words don’t do them justice. We’ve laughed together in times of humor and cried together in times of sorrow. We’ve celebrated together for weddings and births and we’ve been there for each other in times of loss. We’ve encouraged each other when we’ve embarked on new and exciting frontiers and we’ve leaned on each other in times of need. As a matter of fact, I’ve enjoyed a 12+ year career in an industry I got in to by learning about it from a friend I met through HOBY. I’m married to the love of my life because I met her through a friend I knew from HOBY. And 17 months ago, I became a Dad to the most beautiful, hilarious, and (dare I say) sassy as all get out little girl…you know the kind – up there front and center showing the world how she HOBY-O’s. All of it – all the laughs, all the tears, all the texts, all the memories, all the smiles, all the future – all of it because of HOBY.
     So that’s why it hurt. That was the unease. With Hugh’s passing a big piece of me – a big piece of all of us – was gone. Even though some of us may have never met him and even though he may have never known our names off the cuff, a catalyst for change in our lives was gone. If you’re like me, after his passing, you may have read the news articles on his life or searched his name on the internet. His achievements and notoriety were many, but it was one moment – his time with Dr. Schweitzer – that shaped the rest of Hugh’s life. Thankfully, in some way, shape, or form, each of us has been shaped by Hugh’s life. And for that, I know I will remain forever grateful.

Rest easy, Hugh…we’ll carry the torch from here.

HOBY Info:
Georgia HOBY Store
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
  • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: HOBY Georgia
  • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
  • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
This Blog
  • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment