9.12.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Seventy-Seventh Edition, September 12, 2016

Featured Alumnus: Paul Serrato '13

     As I was standing in the long line of uncomfortably quiet teenagers and their proudly enthusiastic parents, I couldn’t help but notice how unnaturally energetic the Junior Staff members were as they ran around carrying luggage in their brilliant yellow shirts. I remember watching them and wondering what was making them so excited. It turned out that they were excited about not only being at HOBY but also being alive, awake, alert, and enthusiastic at HOBY. And that’s exactly what they chanted! The idea that you can not only feel energized for doing something that you love but also feel invigorated for even feeling energized in the first place was a concept that I learned at HOBY—first as an ambassador but even more so in my two years returning as one of those yellow-shirted Junior Staff members.
In practice, this meant that I could strive for my goals with a go-getting attitude that fueled itself to keep on going. It was a positive feedback process. The more energetic I became when approaching a problem, the more I would feed off my own energy to sustain the motivational momentum that propelled me closer to accomplishing my goal. This was my self-motivation and it presented itself in everything from running track and field to applying to college as senior.
Now, as a second-year student in college, I realize how special HOBY was for me because it multiplied this uplifting effect when everyone around me was experiencing it. HOBY fueled people to not only find their self-motivating capabilities but also vibe with other people to accentuate and amplify these positive effects. HOBY united. HOBY empowered. HOBY inspired. And for those few days in my life that I was able to experience this HOBY magic, I am forever grateful.

HOBY Info:
Georgia HOBY Store
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
  • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: HOBY Georgia
  • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
  • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
This Blog
  • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment