9.25.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Seventy-Eighth Edition, September 25, 2016

Featured Alumnus: Sean Nesmith NW '16



     Here is my WLC experience summed up in only three paragraphs! It was 4AM. Without sleep (and Starbucks), it was just my mother and I on the road, listening to Rihanna in the car. I had actually never been alone for an entire week in another state - so when my mom was about to leave me alone at the front desk, I pleaded for her to come with me  all the way to gate, much like a 5 year old. Reluctantly, she came with me, and two hours later, it was time for me to hop on the plane to fly all the way to Chicago. I remember - the first thing I said on the plane was something along the lines of “What did I get myself into?”
     I was right.With an iced coffee in hand, I made my way to O’Hare’s baggage claim. I’ll never forget that moment of the entire week - instantly, I made some of my closest friends that week: Ian from Florida, Tessa from New York, Ben from North Carolina, Joey from Alaska, and Caroline and Rudy, both from Connecticut. I still talk them today (I say that as if WLC was years ago, haha!) After jamming out to One Dance by Drake at the airport (one of my favorite songs throughout the week), we all took the shuttle bus to Loyola University. There, I was greeted by my facilitator, Al Carroll, and the rest of the members of my group (go Silver E1!)

     And what a week it has been. Between all of the speakers that came to talk to us, International Day, cleaning up at Humboldt Park, sightseeing Chicago and buying Garrett’s popcorn, making political posters with Koji, making over 50,000 meals with Feeding Children Everywhere, and being able to interact with over 400 ambassadors from around the world, I can happily say that I came out of this week changed. You “get out what you put in,” and throughout the week I have learned so much about what it means to truly be passionate and knowing my why...the list goes on and on. There so many things that I cannot wait to take back to my community here in Marietta! HOBY has been such a big part of my summer this year and I’m so excited for my future as an alum! You guys will always have a special part of my heart. HOBY Hugs!

HOBY Info:
Georgia HOBY Store
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
  • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: HOBY Georgia
  • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
  • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
This Blog
  • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment