1.12.2013

My Favorite HOBY Experience....

Benjamin Lutz
Ambassador Year: 2011
Pope High School

My name is Benjamin Lutz and it is very difficult to narrow down the multitudes of joy, leadership, and love that I experienced from HOBY into one moment. I am a 2011 Georgia and WLC alumni and I also was a part of JStaff 2012 for Georgia HOBY. I want to start with the disclaimer that EVERY single moment from HOBY has absolutely touched me and has definitely changed my life for the better.

Being an ambassador at two seminars in of itself has forever altered enhanced my life! However, I feel that having the opportunity as Junior Staff was even better. I remember each event at GAHOBY 2011 very clearly, but I never thought about the work put into making each event happen and happen smoothly. I found this out along with many other amazing "hidden" aspects of HOBY from JStaffing GAHOBY 2012.

I have a much greater appreciation for all the work that each of the members of staff do for a HOBY seminar because of my JStaff experience. I helped coordinate, set-up, cheer, and take down each event. I bonded closer with the people from many different alumni years. I had the chance to meet with many ambassadors. I helped lead the parent closing ceremonies section. I went to bed the latest of any HOBY group and woke up the earliest. I worked with facilitators. I did a lot for the 4 days at GAHOBY 2012, and it would not trade any of that exhaustion for the world.

I knew that I was making the 2012 Ambassadors' experience at HOBY better, smoother, and more impactful by helping smooth out events, by acclimating them to HOBY, and by being their friend. The entire experience reinforced every HOBY value, even with not attending the sessions that introduce them. I am looking forward to another JStaffing experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment