7.11.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Seventy-First Edition, July 11, 2016

Featured Alumnus: Khalil Newell '14
     What is the most memorable event that has ever happened in your life? Many people will say their high school or college graduation. Others will say their wedding or the proposal that preceded it. As of right now, mine is my weekend as an ambassador at HOBY. I know this because it's the only event that I have a perfect recollection of, besides my extremely recent graduation, but that doesn't count yet. I remember being with my mom and seeing all these crazy people yelling and cheering at our car, and I thought about asking her to turn around. Come the end of the weekend, I was one of those crazy people doing seemingly ridiculous cheers.
     There are three things that I took away from HOBY that I still use to this day. I learned to be confident in myself and not worry about fitting in or being too weird. I learned to genuinely care about others and be there for them during times of struggle and times of triumph. Finally, I learned to be a better leader by being accountable for my actions while also being confident in those actions. Those three things weren't necessarily taught from a speaker, but through the acts of the staff and the activities we participated in as well. There were plenty of other things I learned and took with me too. Those three just happened to stick with me through all these years and will continue to drive me for the rest of my life.
     I consider HOBY one of the reasons I am where I am today. I will be attending Georgia Tech this coming fall, and I have HOBY to thank for inspiring me to work even harder to achieve my goals. I have been a part of many clubs and organizations where I have been able to show off my leadership and service capabilities. I am a member of a 5 person ensemble with my closest friends making music, participating in and winning competitions, and performing around our city and state at events. I honestly feel like none of that would be possible if I had not spent that one weekend at HOBY, so I am forever grateful for what HOBY has done for me, what HOBY has done for others, and what HOBY will continue to do in the years to come.

HOBY Info:
Georgia HOBY Store
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
  • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
  • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
  • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
This Blog
  • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment