7.20.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Seventy-Second Edition, July 20, 2016

Featured Alumna: Morgan Fermin '10

If you ask my parents, I have been outgoing since the moment they brought me home from the hospital, and I feel like going to HOBY in 2010 really made me grow into the person I am today. Chosen because of an essay I threw together in-between InterAct Meetings and Marching Band, I was more than excited to arrive on campus at 6:58AM in Americus, Georgia. I was the first car that arrived, and TWENTY Junior Staff came charging at my car. The two people that took my bags, Courtney and Hallie, introduced to me to this organization that would soon become a major part of my world.
How crazy is it that this was SIX years ago?! WOW have I changed from that girl that was incredibly nervous to be somewhere where I knew absolutely no-one--to now when I CANNOT live without speaking to a member of my HOBY family every.single.day. (I am pretty sure the 200 day snapchat streak really speaks for itself) The seminar taught me how to lead by example, how to serve my community, and how to make a lifelong friend over 5 hours of sleep in 72 hours. I love what HOBY did for me. I love that it brought out my confidence and brought out my skills. It has opened my eyes to so many new things, and that everyone has a story. It is incredible that so many people are brought together and changed through this experience. I am forever thankful for the friendships, the support, and the love I have gained from this organization. It is more than just a weekend a year to me, it is a part of my heart that I am so happy exists.
To think that I fell so in-love with this organization, and was not originally chosen to come back on Junior Staff is something I think about often. I knew from the moment that I saw the excitement of Junior Staff it was something I wanted to be apart of. When I was chosen originally as an alternate, I did not let my inner spirit die. Instead, I put more effort into helping my community. When Cameron called me just a week before the seminar in 2011, I jumped at the opportunity to come. After 3 years on junior staff, a year as a junior facilitator, an accidental facilitator (twice), and the director of junior staff, volunteering for HOBY has truly come full circle. I could not imagine a summer without HOBY, (or a day without HOBY honestly) and I am so grateful for everything this organization has brought me.

HOBY Info:
Georgia HOBY Store
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
  • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
  • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
  • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
This Blog
  • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment