6.30.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Seventieth Edition, June 30, 2016

Featured Alumna: Leanna Harbor '10

     When I was selected as my school’s HOBY ambassador, I had no idea what I was in for. Within the first few hours of the seminar, it became clear that this was not the average leadership program. I am definitely not the most outspoken person, but that HOBY weekend helped me gain the confidence to try things outside of my comfort zone, which was so helpful in the transition from a small high school to a large university, and is still used as I now transition to medical school. Six years later, I continue to be strengthened by the lessons learned, friendships made, and opportunities presented through this program.
     There are so many amazing aspects of HOBY, but one of my personal favorites is how it allows you to continue to grow as a leader years after you attend the seminar. I have been back as a volunteer every year since my ambassador year, and each year provides new relationships and challenges that further shape who I am as a leader. From being on Junior Staff to now being a Facilitator and the Alumni Advisor, I have always had so much support from the incredible members of this organization. It is amazing how so many different people can become a family, but that is what HOBY is to me. There is no doubt in my mind that without HOBY and the people within it, my life would be much different than it is today, and I will always be grateful to be a part of the HOBY family!
     Shameless plug, but if you are interested in becoming more involved in HOBY, please feel free to e-mail me at gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com. We are working on building our alumni community and would love to hear from you!

HOBY Info:
Georgia HOBY Store
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
  • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
  • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
  • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
This Blog
  • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment