6.22.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Sixty-Ninth Edition, June 22, 2016

Featured Alumna: Hilary Mills '05
\
"Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. Once you become a leader, success is all about growing others." - Jack Welch

Many of our HOBY stories begin the same way - those of us who were ambassadors did not want to spend a weekend with strangers being pushed out of our comfort zones. My older brother was a HOBY ambassador several years before I was and after watching him continuously volunteer on staff afterwards, I knew HOBY was something special. I dreaded having to give up a weekend of my summer and honestly, was afraid. I was shy, insecure and worried too much about what others thought of me.


Eleven years later, I have just finished up my last seminar as co-leadership seminar chair and can finally sit back and smile at what I have accomplished and how far I've come with the help of an outstanding team. I am proud to have seen just how much the seminars in Georgia have grown since I was an ambassador, and I'm excited to see what's next. HOBY is transformative. It's evident in the expressions on the faces of those who leave the seminar Sunday afternoon, as these are not the same expressions on the faces of those who arrive Friday morning. HOBY is not easily described. It is powerful, moving, and at some times, exhausting but above it all, well worth every single moment and I am proud to say that HOBY is in my DNA. 

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
    • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment