12.01.2015

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Forty-Sixth Edition, December 1, 2015

Featured Alumna: Tatiana Taylor '09


           If I could explain HOBY in one word, it would be… Wait, I can’t explain HOBY in one word. In 2009, I was chosen to attend a leadership seminar by the name of HOBY. “What’s HOBY?” I asked my sophomore guidance counselor. “It’s the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Conference.” She answered. Clearly she didn’t know much about the program either. “It’s for rising juniors who have exhibited strong leadership skills.” Okay, cool. That’s all I really needed to hear. Of course I’d go to this HOBY thing, it would look great on my resumé and colleges love this kind of stuff. “Okay, I’ll do it.” I told my counselor.
           My experience that year at HOBY literally changed my life. I thought about things differently. I viewed my problems differently. I looked at people in a new light. Instead of describing HOBY in word, I’ll describe what it does. HOBY brings together people from various walks of life that have the same thing in common: They are ALL leaders. I learned that when I was an Ambassador in 2009, and I continue to see it every year that I volunteer at the seminar. The kids that come to HOBY are all different, some are shy and will only say three words all weekend, some are super outgoing and you can’t get them to be quiet all weekend, some are the textbook definition of the word leader, and then there are some who don’t really fit into any category.
            Even today, I use the tools that HOBY provided me with. I am a better person, and a better leader because of my involvement in the program. HOBY has taught me to use my strengths to overcome obstacles, and where I am lacking, there are others that I can depend on, and it does not make me any less of a leader. Being a great leader means knowing when to ask for help. I am not afraid to come to my fellow alumni when I am down, because they are there to help me get back up. I will carry what I’ve learned at HOBY, and what I continue to learn, always. 

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
    • Follow us on Instagram: HOBY_GEORGIA
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment