12.17.2015

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Forty-Eighth Edition, December 17, 2015

Featured Alumna: Haley Hubbard '14

Toward the end of my sophomore year, my counselor pulled me out of math class to explain that I had been picked to go to “HOBY.” With a confused smile and no physical description of HOBY that I could grasp, I left her office a few minutes later. For months all I knew of HOBY was the simple description: it’s a leadership seminar for rising juniors, and it’s GREAT. I didn’t realize how much HOBY could change my life until I stepped out of my mom’s car at Berry College and one of my soon-to-be facilitators, Courtney, took my bags. After a weekend of developing as a team and district (Go Gold!), I didn’t want to go home; something special had happened through the loud cheers and team activities. As a group we grew closer than I imagined possible. I felt closer to my teammates than I did to some friends I had back at home. That is just the power of HOBY; it can bring together people from every walk of life and create lifelong friendships. Even though it is a leadership seminar, HOBY taught me far more than how to embrace my inner peacock. HOBY taught me how to completely and compassionately love people as they are. HOBY taught me that it’s okay to be vulnerable and tell people when I don’t have the answers. HOBY taught me that ANYTHING can happen within the span of three days. Coming back as a Junior Staff member in 2015 at the SouthEast seminar was a completely different, equally impactful, experience. Watching ambassadors learn and grow during the days was MORE fun than growing myself. HOBY has impacted me so greatly that it is almost impossible to put it into words. It’s one of those “you had to be there” kind of moments that I will continue to share and relive forever, and I am forever grateful.

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
    • Follow us on Instagram: HOBY_GEORGIA
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment