12.09.2015

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Forty-Seventh Edition, December 9, 2015

Featured Alumnus: Joe Farkus '11

Throughout my childhood, my world was very small. I spent every Sunday in a Southern Pentecostal church, every night at the dinner table with loving (yet emotionally unavailable) parents, and every school day doing my very best to put on a good face and seek my peers’ approval. I possessed no concept of self-worth and avoided introspection like the plague. I knew I was gay. I knew friends I really cared about and respected had no idea and would likely have a hard time accepting the fact. I could blame it on my religious upbringing, societal pressures, or the nature of my family…but staying in the closet was a result of my cowardice. I didn’t want to confront whatever complications would arise from coming out. I didn’t want to be gay. I didn’t want it to be a distraction from what I wanted to accomplish in life. So I kept friends at a distance and continued on my way. Then, HOBY came along. Unlike many of HOBY peers, no essay or application process was required for me to be selected for the program. By simply having been re-elected Class President, I was automatically selected by my school - and my god, am I grateful for that. GAHOBY 2011 was a significant experience right in the middle of a difficult time in my life - the sense of community, encouragement, and the opportunity to be challenged in ways I hadn’t before…it all really had an unmeasurable impact on my development. Meeting other young people who were, not just enduring, but excelling in the midst of struggles and challenges much greater than my own put a lot of things into perspective. The November following HOBY, my family and I relocated to Texas. The following November, I was outed to my father. A year and a half later, I started dating my best friend and current partner. As of January 2016, I will be - not only back in school and on my way to a law degree - but also a member of the Democratic Party staff here in Dallas. Recently, I just registered to run for the Texas House of Representative 108th District! HOBY equipped me with the courage to pursue my own happiness; to realize that being an individual and challenging stereotypes is worth all the risk involved.

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
    • Follow us on Instagram: HOBY_GEORGIA
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment