9.29.2015

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Forty-First Edition, September 29, 2015

Featured Alumna: Abbie Nash '12

            Mother Teresa once said, “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” Many people do not see organizations as catalysts for change; they associate change with personalities and individuals. I was one of those people—seeing change as a personal endeavor and hoping I could be one of those individuals. Attending HOBY as a sophomore changed that perspective entirely. I realized that genuine change can take the shape of an organization—an organization devoted to instilling a desire to lead and excel around the world. I consider myself so lucky to have been one of those individuals inspired by HOBY.
            This organization truly does light a fire in high schoolers in a way that is inexplicable. Just like everyone else, I arrived not knowing the life-changing moments I would experience in just one weekend (and the hilariously wonderful ones). From accidentally losing our group leader multiple times to conquering the TeamScapes challenges to easily being the most enthusiastic group, my team formed a tight bond and I still retain many of those friendships today. Together, we learned how to be work with different types of leaders, foster and hone our personal leadership skills, and to make change in our communities.
            Before HOBY, I had never put much emphasis on serving my community, but my eyes were opened to the need that exists wherever you look for it, and today, as a college sophomore (wow, I’m old!), I am pursuing a career in nonprofits and NGOs that effectively make change domestically and abroad. I still volunteer much of my time every week to underserved populations that I see as needing the aid of driven leaders like myself. I seek leadership positions in a variety of settings, constantly putting the skills I learned at HOBY to work.
            However, HOBY’s greatest impact on my life today is the relationships that I’ve made. Easily, some of my best friends are those that I’ve made through HOBY, whether as an ambassador or returning on staff for the past three years. The people that are drawn to this organization have hearts of giving and determination, and they are always supporting, loving, and leading in every aspect of their lives. I cannot thank them and HOBY enough for encouraging me in my aspirations and in being my quirky, enthusiastic self every single day. #itstartswithone

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice!
  • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
  • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
  • Follow us on Instagram: HOBY_GEORGIA
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Feel free to send quotes to lutzofun@gmail.com to be put onto the Twitter page
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
  • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2fdefault.aspx
  • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
  • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
This Blog
  • If you would like a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" Blog Post to be posted in the future on this blog then, email lutzofun@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment