9.20.2015

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Fortieth Edition, September 20, 2015

Featured Alumna: Courtney Burnette '09

As a shy and insecure sophomore, I was skeptical about HOBY when my counselor approached me about it during my sophomore year of high school. It is hard to imagine now how different my life would be if I had not stepped out of my comfort zone to attend the seminar! HOBY changed my life in unimaginable ways and continues to do so even now. My ambassador year truly opened my eyes to the fact that I am capable of accomplishing my goals through leadership, and it also showed me the importance of community service. My passion for giving back to the community started with HOBY and the requirement to complete 100 hours of community service when I applied for junior staff, and I am so thankful that HOBY pushed me toward finding my passion of serving others. My biggest blessings in this organization have come in working as a staff member, both through the friendships I have made and how much I have grown as a leader. I never would have guessed almost seven years ago now that some of the people I met at my seminar would remain my best friends today. HOBY has given me some of the most inspiring, hard-working, and wonderful people to call my friends. Additionally, the past few years I have been able to lead a team by being a facilitator, and this has become what I look forward to the most at each seminar. Bonding with your team and walking through the HOBY journey together throughout the weekend is such a special experience, and I feel so lucky to play even a small part in an ambassador's HOBY story. Above all, the following quote by Margaret Mead sums up what HOBY is all about: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice!
  • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
  • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
  • Follow us on Instagram: HOBY_GEORGIA
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Feel free to send quotes to lutzofun@gmail.com to be put onto the Twitter page
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
  • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2fdefault.aspx
  • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
  • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
This Blog
  • If you would like a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" Blog Post to be posted in the future on this blog then, email lutzofun@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment