4.18.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Sixty-Second Edition, April 18, 2016

Featured Alumnus: Ross Sheppard '06

The HOBY Snowball Effect:

Sparing the details of exactly how this occurred, the abridged version of my story is that HOBY helped craft the self-confidence in my own leadership skills that I later used to succeed in college (inside and outside the classroom). Equally important, HOBY provided me with a network of other high achieving students my age from across the state, none of whom I would have had the opportunity to meet during high school, but many of whom have become not only a major part of my academic and professional network, but also some of my closest friends. 

When nervously awaiting the decision of my first Junior Staff application, I had not even given thought to a leadership role within HOBY. Those guys were so cool and so grown-up. Well now, I don’t know if I've achieved the cool factor (maybe someone from the current Junior Staff can weigh on in that in the next blog post) but I have definitely grown up. I'm now in my second year as Director of Operations at the Southeast seminar, which is hosted at my alma mater, Georgia College. I'm consistently struck with realizations and reminders that HOBY is to thank for much of the personal success that I achieved in college, which I'm now leveraging to contribute to success in my current role at HOBY.

In summary, HOBY helped give me the tools I needed to succeed, and the resulting success has allowed me to help HOBY continue to succeed.  I'm honored now to have the opportunity to facilitate that same cycle for whoever the next group of HOBY Ambassadors are that go on to lead this great organization. Who knows…it could be you!

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
    • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment