2.08.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Fifty-Fourth Edition, February 8, 2016

Featured Alumna: Emily Bell '14

     When someone says HOBY, I think about the magic of the amazing weekend I had as an ambassador and the even cooler weekend I spent behind the scenes as a junior staffer. While those weekends were unforgettable, it was the HOBY values that I strive to embody today that really made those two weekends so impactful. As an ambassador, you are pushed to your leadership limits. Series of fun, seemingly simple games challenge you as a leader, follower, speaker, and a listener. But it wasn't the games that remembered after the weekend was over. It was the values I learned and the friendships I made that stuck with me.
    I think what's so special about HOBY is what you learn from the weekend Not only did I learn how to lead, but I learned how to listen. I was able to see how my contributions to my community, no matter how small, could make a difference. I was inspired to go out in my community and make my mark on what I was passionate about. This newfound knowledge and confidence transformed me into a better version of myself. A version that I didn't even know existed. But our fearless HOBY leaders saw that spark inside of me and my fellow ambassadors and with their guidance, we grew that spark into a fire.
    My ambassador year, our theme was Catching Fire. I don't think I
could have picked a better theme. HOBY has a sort of magic that lights the fire inside of you. It is this magic and the knowledge I gained that I take away with me from my 2 amazing HOBY weekends. I am who I am today because of the magic of HOBY and the fire and passion that it created will never die out.



HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership (Atlanta, GA) as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
    • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment