10.14.2015

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Forty-Third Edition, October 14, 2015

Featured Alumnus: Garrett Childers '11

HOBY has been a beacon of hope, security and strength for me. I was privileged to go to HOBY back in 2011. I arrived late, I walked into the main building and everyone standing there stared at me then burst into enthusiastic cheering. My dad leaned over and said, "Buckle up Garrett." I was stunned and perplexed, but I fell in love with it. After the Georgia HOBY Seminar, I went onto WLC and became friends with people all over the world. I went into HOBY, insecure, fearful and distant. I left knowing I had a purpose and motivation; I can be the change people need in the world. Before HOBY, I would go through my day, walk in the hallway with my head down and just go through the motions. After HOBY, I held my head high, I would say hey to everyone I passed. Going through high school is a scary tough thing but with HOBY as my safety net, knowing I had friends anytime I could call on anytime for anything. I made friendships that last a lifetime. While there I made a friendship that has become one of my best friends, a speaker, Dave Gamache. He spoke with so much fire and enthusiasm and genuine love, I thought, I want to be like that. Sure enough years later, I am working with him sharing my story along with his. HOBY has opened so many doors, has transformed my heart and mind to be loving, humble and generous in whatever I do. That is why I love HOBY.

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
    • Follow us on Instagram: HOBY_GEORGIA
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment