10.30.2015

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Forty-Forth Edition, October 30, 2015

Featured Alumna: Hallie Murray '09

Every HOBY Alumnus has their own rehearsed answer to the question “What is HOBY?”  I am entering my 7th year of answering that question, and my answer is something to the tune of, “HOBY is an experience where the most important friendships of your life are developed.” My favorite part of HOBY is setting the stage and providing the environment for the ambassadors to connect with each other and watch them form relationships with each other that will last them well into their adult lives. I fully believe that these connections are made during this three day weekend, but they are more and more reaffirmed every time you come back to volunteer with HOBY. When I was sitting in my chair at closing ceremonies at HOBY 2009, I had no clue what this organization would bring into my life. However, I did know that I had to do whatever it took to come back to this place and these people. I have returned to HOBY every summer since my ambassador year, and I have been a member of Junior Staff, a Junior Facilitator, a Facilitator (HOBY South Carolina), Director of Facilitators, Vice-Leadership Seminar Chair, and for the 2016 and 2017 seminars I will be the Leadership Seminar Chair. During the summer of 2009, HOBY consumed only three days of my life. Now there isn’t a day in the calendar that I don’t talk about, laugh about, or plan for HOBY, and I find so much joy in that.

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
    • Follow us on Instagram: HOBY_GEORGIA
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment