1.05.2014

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Twelfth Edition, January 5, 2014 

Featured Alumnus: Adam Purvis '06
As an ambassador in 2006, I have been involved with GA HOBY for the past 7+ years! After graduating high school, I matriculated to Harvard University where I graduated cum laude in 2012 with a AB in Applied Mathematics and Statistics. Upon graduating, I received and accepted an offer to join a quantitative consulting firm called Novantas in New York City, where I have been working for the past year and a half. One of the main reasons I joined that firm is due to the fact that they nurture young businessmen and businesswomen into leaders as well as host sponsored events to give back to the community of New York. Even now, I remember the minute I really got into the HOBY spirit. I was always outgoing, but it wasn't until two hours into my ambassador year (around the time that Rod asked us to reach as high as we could, and then higher) that I realized that I could use my zealousness for something more. Since then and throughout high school and college I have been trying to pass along what I could to those around me in order to ensure that they would be better leaders. Every year a new crop of ambassadors arrives and catches the spirit, which they then take back to their respective schools. This fire that begins to burn in their hearts and bodies then spreads to those around them, causing anyone around to strive to their fullest potential. Imparting this fire onto each new ambassador which causes a conflagration around the world is what HOBY is all about and it is the reason that I love to come back and pay it forward!

HOBY Info:

Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
  • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
  • Feel free to send quotes to lutzofun@gmail.com to be put onto the Twitter page
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers

Hours
  • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2fdefault.aspx
  • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email lutzofun@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
  •  How is far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?

This Blog
  • If you would like a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" Blog Post to be posted in the future on this blog then, email lutzofun@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment