1.22.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Fifty-Second Edition, January 22, 2016

Featured Volunteer: Hunter Quintal (First Seminar NW '15)

Let me preface this by saying that I was not an ambassador. Unlike many of you, I was not one of the select few from Georgia to be nominated. However, like many of you, I was completely unaware of what HOBY stood for before I became a part of it.

My name is Hunter Quintal and my introduction to and involvement in HOBY is somewhat non-traditional. My best friend from high school is a HOBY alumna and always spoke highly of the program. She would tell me of how her experiences as an ambassador shaped her understanding of her self awareness and self confidence, and how her interactions with other high-achieving students acted as encouragement for her to continue giving her all to her schoolwork and to her community.

When I applied to be a junior facilitator last winter, it was this knowledge that I took with me. Oh yeah, and I also knew was that I would run after parents’ cars, shrieking and hollering. That’s about it. I felt like I knew what I was in for. I felt like the weekend would end too quickly and that I wouldn’t really gain anything in such a short period of time. Boy was I was wrong!

The weekend became endless in the lessons and relationships that I continuously was a part of. I watched before my eyes as the students that I had grown close to became more outgoing, more spirited, more self-assured, more creative, and more visibly inquisitive. These shy students grew into themselves, finding their own voice and all contributing differently to group and individual action and reflection. I learned as they did, and found that I was diversifying my own skills of communication and leadership as I interacted with them. We all became thoughtful community leaders as we confronted issues brought up in the seminar.

That weekend last summer made me evaluate my worldview, and reassess my effectiveness as a member of the various organizations and groups that I call home. The staff and ambassadors were so welcoming and supportive, and I easily fit into that community of humble, gracious, and confident leaders. HOBY inspired me. HOBY reinvented me. I hope to continue serving HOBY and working towards the goals that HOBY stands for. By the way, everyone who has been impacted by HOBY interprets those goals differently. I hope to hear what HOBY means to you. 



HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership (Atlanta, GA) as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
    • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    1 comment:

    1. Annapurna Base Camp Trek assortment may be a known steady trekking route of seven days in Annapurna range region of Asian nation. Annapurna Base Camp trekking that additionally called Annapurna Sanctuary trekking is that the greatest distinguished trekking in Asian nation. the foremost peaks of western portion of large Annapurna Himal includes Hiunchuli, Annapurna south, Fang, Annapurna, Gangapurna, Annapurna three and Machhapuchchhre that ar organized in such a fashion that they exactly type a bend that have a diameter of virtually ten miles. Annapurna base camp trek of seven days from Kathmandu to Pokhara provides the nice influence of existence of a giant area within the core Modi Khola mark its resolution within the south of this ice mass vale in slender gorge of twelve,000ft deep. when you pass what is more to the south this gorge end up to be even wider and provides rise to the productive vale wherever Gurung folks live. Trekking in Asian nation Annapurna Base Camp higher and middle half Moody Khola offers trekkers some short cut trekking ways. Annapurna base camp trekking of seven days package begin its morning flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara and therefore the terribly day it goes on to Nayapul with personal vehicles and trek extend to Natural hot reserving in Jhinu danda, from wherever begins the Annapurna base camp or Annapurna Sanctuary Trek of the Asian nation Himalaya.

      ReplyDelete