4.27.2016

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Sixty-Third Edition, April 27, 2016

Featured Alumna: Yoomin Chae '11

I was a minority at my school. Even though I wasn't bullied, I felt out-of-place and lonely. Without even knowing, I was suppressing my esteem, my pride, and my confidence. I slowly started to distance myself from the world. I never voiced my opinions at school and always spent time by myself. I had no confidence whatsoever. One day, walking to class, I saw one of the applications to be a part of HOBY. Without knowing anything about HOBY, except that it was a leadership conference, I simply turned in my application with no expectation for me to get chosen. A few weeks later, when I found out I was selected to attend the conference as the school representative, I was very shocked. I was also scared because I was afraid to meet new people. However, I decided to attend the conference because I thought it would be my last chance to overcome my fears. 

Attending the HOBY seminar was probably the best decision of my life. Even though it was a challenge, I learned how to be a leader. I also learned the importance of teamwork and communication. After the seminar, I saw the world with different eyes. I began to take initiatives, joining various clubs and making new friends. Becoming a leader changed my life. A year later, I became the Vice-President of Student Council, the Woodwind section leader of the Marching Band, and the Homecoming Queen of my school. I also got accepted to the University of California, Davis, where I am pursuing my Bachelor's degree currently. The story goes on. HOBY made me a leader. HOBY is powerful.

HOBY Info:

Amazon Smile
    • If your shop at Amazon, the switch to Amazon Smile (https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-2861279). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice.
    • Choose HOBY Georgia (Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership) as your charity!
    Social Networking!!!
    • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
    • Follow us on Twitter: @GA_HOBY  
    • Follow us on Instagram: hoby_georgia
    • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
    • Follow us on SnapChat: hobygeorgia
    • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
    • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
    • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
    Hours
    • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2f
    • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
    • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
    This Blog
    • If you would like post a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" in the future on this blog, then email gahobyfundraising@gmail.com also with your response!
    • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

    No comments:

    Post a Comment