8.31.2015

Georgia HOBY Newsletter:
Thirty-Seventh Edition, August 31, 2015

Featured Alumna: Anne Buckle '04

Georgia HOBY changed me in 2004.  A shy sophomore with big dreams, HOBY empowered me to speak up and be confident in my ability to influence the world around me.  Over the course of the weekend, my eyes were opened to a world bigger than the suburb I grew up in.  I learned about different kinds of people and how to relate to them.  I learned how important it is to consider others' differences.  I discovered how amazing it is when we use our individual strengths to come together and do something greater than ourselves.  HOBY showed me how to break down barriers and see people for who they are. Throughout high school, college, and graduate school and into my current professional life, the skills and lessons I learned at HOBY have stayed with me, shaping me over and over again into the person I have become.  I always try to be a light to others, do what's right, and take time and effort to understand people.  As one ambassador said at the 2014 seminar, "I wish they taught this stuff in school."  Me too. HOBY transforms people.  Ambassadors don't go home the way they were before. They go home better. This year will be my sixth year volunteering with Georgia HOBY.  In high school, I served on junior staff, and for the past few years, I have been involved as a facilitator, which is one of my all-time favorite things to do!  I love walking ambassadors through their HOBY journey, and it's so rewarding to see their transformations over the course of the seminar (and in the months following!).  This year, I'm excited to be on the corporate board as co-director of fundraising.  My HOBY family inspires and encourages me continually, and I'm blessed for all the friends and mentors I've made along the way.

HOBY Info:
Amazon Smile
  • If you shop at Amazon, then switch to Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com). It is the exact same website, but 0.5% of purchases will be donated to a charity of your choice!
  • Choose Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership as your charity!
Social Networking!!!
  • Find us on Facebook: GA HOBY Alumni
  • Follow us on Twitter: @HOBY_GEORGIA  
  • Follow us on Instagram: HOBY_GEORGIA
  • Follow us on Vine: Georgia HOBY
  • Check our the website: www.gahoby.org
  • Check out our YouTube channel: HOBY Georgia
  • Feel free to send quotes to lutzofun@gmail.com to be put onto the Twitter page
  • Check out http://hobycheers.wikidot.com/list-of-hoby-cheers for awesome cheers
Hours
  • Keep logging them! Can you accomplish the 100 Hour Challenge? Georgia HOBY knows that you can. Here is the place to do so: https://reg.hoby.org/HOBYL4S/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHOBYL4S%2fdefault.aspx
  • Need ideas for Volunteering projects? Email gahobyalumniadvisor@gmail.com, check the HOBY website: hoby.org, and/or research into what your community needs!
  • How far has your Chain Reaction of Kindness reached?
This Blog
  • If you would like a "My Favorite HOBY Experience" Blog Post to be posted in the future on this blog then, email lutzofun@gmail.com also with your response!
  • Be on the lookout for the next Newsletter or My Favorite HOBY Experience Post

No comments:

Post a Comment